At any time, up to 2.7 million of the UK population are being treated for depression, while more than 6.9 million will be affected in any year. Over 250,000 people experience depression in Wales each year – this would fill the Millennium Stadium three and a half times over.
- Worldwide, 141 million people have depression.
- Depression is one of the top 3 causes of disability in the world.
- Depression affects people from all cultures and backgrounds.
- As many as 3 in 4 cases of depression are neither recognised nor treated.
- The vast majority of people affected by depression make a full recovery with the right combination of treatment, support and self-help.
- Only 20% of people suffering from depression actually go to their doctor with an emotional problem. The vast majority of those who do complain of nonspecific symptoms such as headache, tiredness or vague abdominal pains.
In the most